Perspective

Thoughts of a Catholic convert

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ghost of Thanksgiving past


- Roy and Trigger

Last Thanksgiving I wrote a post about what Thanksgiving was like for me as a kid - this time a later past Thanksgiving.

It was after I received my BA and had been diagnosed with Stargardt's disease. I didn't know what to do with myself, so I took some more classes while I tried to decide and one of them was an adaptive PE class for people with disabilities. Mostly it was weight training and aerobics, but the class had guys to help people with their programs and one of them became my latest boyfriend. When Thanksgiving came up he asked me to go with him back to his parent's home in Apple Valley (the home of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans :)

Hard enough for shy me to spend a couple of days with strangers, but on top of that they seemed so different .... they had a Thanksgiving ritual that consisted of the women folk cooking all morning while the men folk watched football on tv. Then we all went to an actual football game in town, the only one I've ever been to. Then there was the traditional dinner, an awkward experience for a vegetarian on Turkey Day.

Not my favorite Thanksgiving memory but it did remind me of Trigger, after whom I'd named my bicycle.


2 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

One of my favorite cowboys when I was a young lad.

Thanks for the memories!

Lot's to be thankful! Right? :)

9:21 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor - yes :)

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home