The company you keep says something about you
UPDATE: (6/18) Archbishop doubles down on anti-gay stance with D.C. appearance
The other day I was looking at an article about religious sites in San Francisco (that's where I saw mention of the Swendeborgian Church) and it mentioned the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption (see above photo), where Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone reigns (known for his conservative and anti-gay stances, and his DUI arrest). I thought of that church when today I saw an article about Cordileone at NCR. Here's the beginning of it ....
San Francisco archbishop under fire for plan to speak at March for Marriage
San Francisco public officials and many religious leaders are angry -- very angry -- at the plans announced by Catholic Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone. He is listed as a speaker at the June 19 March for Marriage in Washington, D.C., sponsored by the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) and the Family Research Council, two groups that have taken some of the most hostile stances against same-sex marriage and LGBT people generally.
Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, state and city officials, other religious, and LGBT community leaders have written a letter to the archbishop, asking him to cancel this highly charged speaking engagement. Religiously affiliated signers include:
- The Episcopal bishops of California and Wisconsin
- The Very Rev. Brian Baker, dean of Sacramento's Trinity Cathedral
- The Rev. Will McGarvey, executive director of the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County and Community Presbyterian Church in Pittburg, Calif.
- The Rev. Dennis W. Wiley, pastor of the Covenant Baptist United Church of Christ in D.C.
- The Rev. Karen Oliveto, pastor of Glide Memorial UMC in San Francisco
- Rabbi Michael Lerner, editor of Tikkun magazine.
In addition, an online petition has collected more than 20,000 signatures requesting the archbishop cancel his appearance.
But the objections are not focused on Cordileone's opposition to same-sex marriage. They are about the groups with which he would associate (and implicitly endorse) at this rally ...
It's not too late to sign the petition mentioned in the article.