Thoughts of a Catholic convert

My Photo
Location: United States

Thursday, December 11, 2014

What I read about today

It's stormy and raining outside so I'm spending time trawling the internet. Here's some of what I found ...

- Behold! Ewan McGregor as Jesus in Last Days in the Desert. That should be interesting. My favorite movie with him in it is The Island - wrote about it here.

- Celibacy may be linked to sexual abuse, Catholic Church concedes . I do think an institution that promises its members it will mandate their life-long celibacy might tend to attract a higher than average percentage of people with sexual problems.

- Why James Cameron’s Aliens is the best movie about technology. There are not many films on any topic that pull off the trifecta of big ideas, great moviemaking, and deep human resonance, let alone manage to be about technology. For my purposes, there are three that matter: Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Aliens. :) Aliens was once of my favorites - wrote about it here.

- Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy. Heh - an article in The New Yorker about mishearing song lyrics :) Speaking of Jimi Hendrix, there's a movie out about him the year he was in London - here's something from NPR ... From Sideman To Star: A New Film Captures Jimi Hendrix's Pivotal Year ...


Post a Comment

<< Home