Perspective

Thoughts of a Catholic convert

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Impossible: Where Was God?

Remember this ... Where Was God? An Interview with David Bentley Hart ... and Hart's follwing book, The Doors of the Sea: Where Was God in the Tsunami?? Both were about the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami and the question of how God could let so much suffering occur.

I was thinking about Hart when I decided to sign up for tonight's rental movie, The Impossible ...

a 2012 English-language Spanish disaster drama directed by Juan Antonio Bayona and written by Sergio G. Sánchez. It is based on the experience of María Belón and her family in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The cast includes Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor and Tom Holland.

Here's the trailer ...



And here's a bit of Roger Ebert's review, in which he gave the film 4 stars ...

[...] As “The Impossible” begins, all is quiet at a peaceful resort beach in Thailand. Seconds later, victims are swept up like matchsticks. The film is dominated by human figures: a young British couple, Maria and Henry Bennett (Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor), and their three young sons, Lucas, Simon and Thomas (Tom Holland, Oaklee Pendergast and Samuel Joslin). All five fear they will never see their loved ones again.

In the earlier Eastwood film [Hereafter], they seem the victims of cruel destiny singling out a fate, perhaps foretold. In the Bayona film, have they been doomed by destiny? Seated in a dark theater, I reached out my hand for that of my wife’s. She and I had visited the same beach and discussed visiting it with our children and grandchildren. An icy finger ran slowly down our spines.

Such a connection can be terrifying. What does it mean? We are the playthings of the gods ....


I decided to watch the movie after seeing the interview with Ewan McGregor, but though the movie was really good, I wish I hadn't rented it after all. The scenes of the tsunami and the suffering of all its victims (human and animal) just added to my already existing worries about how God could allow such things to happen.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home