My Photo
Location: United States

Friday, March 02, 2018

The last few days

- Marie and Goldy

It's been a stressful last few days. I got what I guess is a pretty bad cold (not the flu, I hope) and it finally seems on its way out. Also a big storm here the last couple of days ... Biggest storm of the season moves into California, bringingwarnings of blizzards and mudslides. Roof's leaking a bit despite the tarping :(

The most stressful thing, though, has been the continuing effort to catch and spay/neuter the cats. Of Marie, her five adult babies, and a couple of other strange cays hanging around lately, I've so far only caught Fig. When she so easily went into the trap I had bought (Fig goes to the clinic) I thought it would be just as easy to catch the rest of them. Hah!

We made another appointment at the SPCA, got up at the crack of dawn, and set up the trap, but the cats we needed to catch wouldn't go in and the cats we didn't want to catch all did. We missed the window of opportunity and had to reschedule. The next time I tried, I was able to lock most of the cats already spayed/neutered in the garage while i followed the other cats around the yard with the trap, trying to get them interested. They would have none of it. We missed that appointment too.

I was starting to really worry - cats get pregnant and have babies in two months so that's not a lot of time, and Marie, the mama of the other cats, was looking very bloopy and bulgy. I searched online and found advice for hard to catch cats, and they mentioned using a drop trap. I had actually bought one of these a couple of years ago but it was so heavy and unwieldy that I had never used it, but desperate times, desperate measures.

I did manage to catch Marie with the drop trap the day before the next appointment. My sister helped me get her from the big trap into a smaller container and I kept her inside overnight. She howled all night long. I hadn't realized just how frightening getting caught in the trap and then spending so many hours in the carrier would be for Marie. I hate doing all this stuff :(

My sister picked her up the next morning and took her to the County's spay and neuter clinic (almost identical to the SPCA in price and procedure). She picked her up at 4pm, whence we put her back under the drop trap in the garage to keep her safe from the other cats overnight. The clinic people said Marie was really feral and that we should let her go that night or at the latest in the morning so she wouldn't hurt herself trying to escape. Well, she somehow did manage to escape - this morning I went to let her out and she was gone. Marie Houdini! I hope she is ok! Still 4-6 cats to go.


Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Sorry Crystal! I hope you are feeling better. I know it's a hassle to round up the ferals. It's even a hassle sometimes if they're not feral. I have to trick one of mine into the carrier to take her to the vet. I think she can read my mind.

5:21 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Katherine. Yes, so stressful. I did see Marie yesterday and she seems ok physically. I'm like the last person who should be doing all this - I get too upset.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home