My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, August 14, 2020

Excuses

I was watching Morning Joe today as I washed the cat dishes. Mika was asking why 30-40% of voters still support Trump, despite all the bad stuff he has done and the bad person that he has shown himself to be. One of her guests opined that those Trump voters were formed over many years by economic hardship.

This is the most common excuse I've seen for being a Trump voter, and I've got to say that I think it is total BS.

I grew up in a family without much money. My mom sewed our clothes because we couldn't afford to buy them. At one point we were on food stamps. We had Medicaid as our insurance. No one paid our way through college - we worked at part-time jobs as we studied.

And guess what? Wonder of wonders, experiencing economic hardship did not turn us into racists, it did not turn us into misogynists, It did not make us effing stupid, and it did not compel us to cooperate with intrinsic evil.

Trump voters, especially after these almost 4 years of a Trump presidency, support him because they like him, they like what he says, they like what he does - they *are* him. Stop trying to excuse them from that responsibility.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I agree with you that the economic hardship excuse is BS. For one thing most Trump voters aren't poor. One thing ought to be clear after three and a half years, and that is that Trump hasn't and will not do anything to help poor people.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home