My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Greg Boyle SJ



I noticed today that Creighton University has a page with a story about Jesuit Greg Boyle, with a video and also an audio file (mp3) of a talk given by him on February 10th at St. John's Church ..... Finding Christ in the Suffering of our Cities. It's worth listening to.

Here's a little about Fr. Boyle from Wikipedia ...

Father Gregory "Greg" Joseph Boyle, S.J. is a Jesuit priest. He is the director and founder of Homeboy Industries and former pastor of Dolores Mission Church ..... Father Boyle began his work at Dolores Mission organizing the parish around Christian base communities and following Liberation Theology principles. With his support and guidance, the base communities began developing different programs to help the working poor in their community: a shelter for homeless immigrants; a cooperative daycare; a community organizing program; a school; and a jobs program for gang members, the latter being the precursor of Homeboy Industries. In 1986, Father Boyle declared Dolores Mission a sanctuary for all immigrants. His motto is “Nothing Stops a Bullet Like a Job.”


5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Hmmm, I couldn't get it to download. Shucks. I read some of the articles, though. This is great, someone actually trying to apply LT in a first-world country. We used to hear about it in Latin America all the time, but not so much here. God Bless him.

"Nothing Stops a Bullet Like a Job.”

That's for sure! A lot of the hand-wringing about the social pathologies to be found in the USA, decrying the breakdown of families, morality, responsibility, etc, often fail to put enough emphasis on the fact that there is an decreasing amount of meaningful and rewarding work in this country.

9:07 AM  
Blogger victor said...

Forgive me Crystal and please don’t stop praying for me cause right now it’s not much fun in my spiritual home front but my imaginary spiritual friends keep telling me that you’re using your talent to defend all homo’s and want woman in the clergy. I keep asking them what’s wrong with that cause she’s entitled to her own opinion and God will eventually correct all of “IT” in His own way so what’s wrong with you guys? They just won’t stop Crystal so what do I do? Admit myself at a mental hospital? Here’s a little sample of what I’m going through right now.

Her eyes off of us....? Give me a brake! Just US? but we’re nothing more than usual sinners home boys and girls. Quit kissing UP!

Stop “IT” sinner vic!

Don’t tell me what to do Victor cause I’m getting very tired of listening to you. This so called boil is only fishing and doesn’t really mean what he’s saying? Jesus told his apostles to leave their wife’s behind because He was the new Adam and if we HOME HE’S can’t eventually accept that then let’s give them one more chance right now. If you don’t believe me just ask God to send one of your cells back to when they tried to purify Jesus about forty days after His Birth. If that’s not enough just get your powerful cells to ask the old lady by the name of Anna who was present when they all tried to purify Him. You were born in the year of the dog Victor and I’m shocked that you can’t recognize these sound waves which are really parallel worlds which might eventually turn into bombs which will be worst than the ones which fell in the pass.

What are you talking about sinner vic?

Maybe you can tell me what SAV wants to tell US?

I must now take some of our grand children swimming cause it’s a family holiday in Canada so please forgive me for not listening to all of this man’s speech but most important please don’t ever stop praying for me.

God Bless,

11:24 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jeff,

If you go to that page and click on the icon-picture of the mp3 file, doesn't it take you to another page where the mp3 file plays? You don't have to download it, just play it. Does that work? I almost didn't listen to it because I didn't think it would be that interesting, but it was actually really good - very liberation theology.

11:24 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I got it to run last night. Excellent. Much longet than I expected, but it was worth every minute.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home