My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, August 12, 2022

Trees



I've been thinking about trees. Many of our trees have been struggling and some have died because of the drought. Very sad. I wanted to get some new trees but they're pretty expensive, so I looked for free ones.

It turns out that our electric company gives people free trees to help cut energy costs. I had to apply and have a virtual meeting with a county forrester, and she decided I could have three trees - yay!

They had a number of trees to choose from and I picked ones that were fast growing and drought tolerant ...

- An interior live oak for the side yard ...

- A trident maple for the back yard ...

- And my favorite, based on its name, the bibba desert Willow for the frontt yard ...

They will probably just be little twigs when they first arrive. I hope my black thimb doesn't kill them off before they grow up.

Here is the tree map the forrester gave me, showing where to plant the new trees. Not really up to date, as the tarps still seem to be on the roofs ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Oh, how nice that you found a source for free trees! I hope you can get the desert willow, the blossoms are so pretty. We are in a drought too. I hope our trees will be okay. One is a burr oak, I think it is pretty sturdy and has deep roots. The other is a Bradford pear, which I wouldn't recommend. Their life span is relatively short, and they have a bad habit of branches falling off in a high wind. But the white blossoms in spring are pretty. I loved the big cottonwoods that we had on the farm. But you wouldn't want those in town. Their life span is about 125 years, which means the ones back home are dying.

6:55 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

I didn't realize that other parts of the country were having droughts too. Pear tree - I don't think I've ever even seen one. Fruit trees have such pretty flowers. In my neighborhood, it was more rural - people had sheep down the street and now people have chickens and bunnies and horses. But when old lots have sold, developers have turned them into projects of multiple identical homes that sell for half a million dollars or more. My property is an older lot, so no built-in sprinklers, no sod lawn, but a lot of trees. I just added a satellite view of the yard to my post.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home