My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, July 03, 2006

Too Deep For Words

A while ago, Fr. Marsh had a very informative post on his blog about the prayer method of Lectio Divina (read his post here). It sounded interesting, so I searched for a book on the subject. The one I ended up getting is Too Deep For Words - Rediscovering Lectio Divina by Thelma Hall r.c. Some of what she said I agreed with, some I didn't, but as she's the expert :-) I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. One thing I did like was the list of scriptural passages in the back. Here are my favorites for contemplation from her book ...

John 1: 35-39 -
Jesus ... saw them following and said, "What do you want?" They answered, "Where do you live?" He replied, "Come and see."

Luke 4: 16-22 -
"He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives, sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free ..."

Luke 7: 11-17 -
He went to a town called Nain ... there was a dead man being carried out, the only son of his mother ... the Lord ... felt sorry for her and said, "Don't cry."

Luke 15: 11-32 -
(Jesus said) "While he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with pity. He ran to the boy, clasped him in his arms, and kissed him."

Matthew 15: 21-28 -
... a Canaanite woman ... started shouting ... "take pity on me" ... he said not a word in answer ... "Lord," she said, "help me." Jesus answered ... "Woman, you have great faith. Let your desire be granted."

John 20: 11-20 -
... Mary was standing outside near the tomb, weeping ... Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?"

John 21: 1-14 -
... there stood Jesus on the shore ... there was some bread there and a charcoal fire with fish ... Jesus said ... "Come and have breakfast."


- The Miraculous Draught of Fishes by Jacopo Bassano


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home