My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Second Book Meme

Since Liam tagged me with the meme, I've decided to revise mine and give it more thought. So, for those who don't mind a second read theough ...

1. One book that changed your life -
I think last time I mentioned that the essay on Self-Reliance by Emerson influenced me when I was a kid. But what I read in college had an effect as well - the idealism of Plato's Republic and the existential angst of Sartre's Nausea ... can't say I really understood them, but I was very impressed.

2. One book that you've read more than once -
I'm sticking with The Lord of the Rings. As CS Lewis wrote of this book ... here are beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold iron. Here is a book which will break your heart.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island -
I've changed my mind ... I'll go with the Bible this time.

4. One book that made you laugh -
I avoid these kinds of books like the plague, but once in a while, one slips through ... How (not) to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make by Denny Martin Flinn. If you've ever tried to write a script, you'll understand.

5. One book that made you cry -
The Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola. Though I probably haven't cried at the reading of the text, the meditations and especially the contemplations from the text have led to many tears being shed.

6. One book you wish had been written -
I wish there had been a gospel written of Jesus' life before his ministry.

7. One book you wish had never been written -
One that comes to mind, after mentioning a book about Jesus' early life, is the really creepy Infancy Gospel of Thomas ( not to be confused with the Gnistic Gospel of Thomas ). It shows the child Jesus as a murderer.

8. One book you're currently reading -
I've just started Faith Beyond Resentment by Catholic priest and theologian James Alison.

9. One book you've been meaning to read -
I've sent for a book by Karl Rahner - hope I can understand it :-) - and I may give The Seven Story Mountain a try.


- Map of Middle Earth (The Lord of the Rings)


5 Comments:

Blogger PrickliestPear said...

Have you ever read Merton's New Seeds of Contemplation? I liked it a lot more than The Seven Storey Mountain.

7:21 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

I haven't read any of Merton's books, so far. I've not been a fan of contemplative prayer, so I thought the biography might be more interesting than one of his others - I could be wrong, though.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hi Crystal,

I laughed at your references on Number 4. It reminded me of Diana Rigg's collection of savage London theater reviews - No Turn Left Unstoned

Speaking of Diana Rigg, when I was a kid I always wondered why my dad watched such a silly show as The Avengers every week. When I got older, I understood!

Number 6, what a great thought. The early life of Jesus. Good choice.

2:24 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Jeff - I'm glad you're back from vacation ... Mrs. Peel! :-)

3:14 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Crystal,

Liked your list, especially the Early Life of Jesus idea.

I do recommend reading Seven Storey Mountain. It's a beautifully written autobiography. Quite interesting. I also like New Seeds, but I think the autobiography would be an excellent place to start.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home