My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 23, 2006

Icons


- The Lord's Epiphany, Kaftoun, Archdiocese of Mount Lebanon.13th Century A.D.


- The Archangel Michael, 12th century, St. Catherine's Monastery in Egypt's Sinai.


- Peter and Paul - Mount Athos
This icon is from the Monastery on Mount Athos of Karakallou. The icon depicts Sts. Peter and Paul a loving embrace. The two weren't always in agreement with one another, and they often argued about many things, but they never lost the love that they had for each other as brothers in Christ. And they never lost the zeal that kept them preaching the Gospel of Christ to all nations. For this reason, the Orthodox Church celebrates their memories on June 29th. This particular icon is over 1000 years old. It was once thrown into a fire by iconoclasts (people who hate icons). Much to their dismay, it never burned!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful icons, Crystal. I think I mentioned this before, but during the iconoclastic controversy, John of Damascus wrote some beautiful stuff defending icons:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/johndam-icons.html

The wife of the professor who supervised my orals field on Byzantium is a contemporary icon painted and does some great stuff:
http://www.saintmarymagdalen.com/eileen/eileen.htm

I know you explained how to do the links in the comment section, but I couldn't get it to work.

1:19 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Liam, thanks for the links.

I really liked the ones at the Icon Studio ... some must be based on existing icons, because the one of the Trinity is very like the famous medieval one. I wish I could do that for a living!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home