My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Poem / Robert Graves



Jeff's comment to the post before this made me wonder about the poems of Robert Graves ... I hadn't read any of them, though I've read a few of his books. Here below is the one poem of Graves' I was able to find online - they seem thin on the ground web-wise ...

IN THE WILDERNESS

CHRIST of His gentleness
Thirsting and hungering
Walked in the wilderness;
Soft words of grace He spoke
Unto lost desert-folk
That listened wondering.
He heard the bitterns call
From the ruined palace-wall,
Answered them brotherly.
He held communion
With the she-pelican
Of lonely piety.
Basilisk, cockatrice,
Flocked to his homilies,
With mail of dread device,
With monstrous barbed slings,
With eager dragon-eyes;
Great rats on leather wings,
And poor blind broken things,
Foul in their miseries.
And ever with Him went,
Of all His wanderings
Comrade, with ragged coat,
Gaunt ribs--poor innocent--
Bleeding foot, burning throat,
The guileless old scape-goat;
For forty nights and days
Followed in Jesus' ways,
Sure guard behing Him kept,
Tears like a lover wept.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog.

God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

5:17 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Wow.

I don't claim to know a lot about poetry, but that one is amazing. That's a keeper.

That kind of intellect is representative of the flower of a generation that was thrown away in the mud of Passchendaele and the Somme... People like H. H. Munro (Saki)

5:28 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Maria, thanks for your comment.


Jeff, now you've brought up someone else's name and I'll have to look him up too - you're always one step (or more) ahead of me :-)

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi~ I am a student from China. Can you add me on Window messager.

Anitalau_33@hotmail.com.cn

or E-mail me : nonwoods@yahoo.com.cn

I wonder if you have some free time to discuss with me on Robert Braves' poems.

Thank you.

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home