My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, July 09, 2007

Jesus Meme

Talmida was kind enough to tag me with the "Why I love Jesus" meme. You can read her meme answers here at The Lesser of Two Weevils. The rules are that those tagged will share 5 things they "love" about Jesus. Then they must choose 5 others to tag.

Disclaimer: I don't know theology ... I may be incorrect in my conclusions drawn from scripture :-) but below is a list of 5 of my reasons for loving Jesus ....

I love Jesus for being vulnerable. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and he is easily moved - he can be brought to tears, to love, to concern, or even to the point of changing his mind, or of flipping his wig.

I love Jesus for befriending the outcasts of society. He seems willing to both like and love people just as they are, and I don't mean in that "I accept you as you are, but love you too much to let you remain that way" kind of fashion.

I love Jesus for not being punitive, but instead forgiving. When he was asked what to do with the woman who'd committed adultery, he shamed her accusers into leaving without punishing her (John 7:53-8:11). He told the disciples, who wished to strike down a village that dissed them, to get a grip (Luke 9:51-55). And after his resurrection, he didn't strive to punish any of those who'd harmed him.

I love Jesus for his active help of others When people asked him for help, he didn't tell them to suck it up and wait for their reward in heaven, he healed the sick, calmed the storm, fed the hungry, raised the dead. He cared (and cares) deeply about the quality of life here and now ... I don't believe he feels mere survival until a better day is enough - he wants life here to be a wedding feast.

I guess I love Jesus most of all because I think he loves me.

*

I'm not sure who else will be up for this but here are those I've tagged ... Rob, Jeff, William, PamGB, and Rachel ... and I hope anyone else interested will join in as well.


8 Comments:

Blogger Talmida said...

Those are great answers, crystal! I especially like #4.

:)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Rachi said...

Ooh, what a great meme!! thanks for tagging me!
I've added it to my "list of memes to do when I finish this essay" (I'm nearly done!)- this list also includes those questions you had from that TV show a while back (cant remember what the show was).

I loved your answers too- I think mine would be similar...I definately love Jesus because He can understand our suffering :)

love Rachel xoxo

11:43 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Well phooey. Now I'm going to have to become a Catholic.

11:58 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

I can't believe he did it again - first insulting islam, then the pre-columbians, now all other christians :-(

Mathew, maybe you'll do the meme?

12:20 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Crystal,

Speaking of forgiveness . . . The first time I read this, I skipped the last paragraph! Didn't know you had tagged me.

Funny, I was just telling Liam that I thought the internet had ruined my close reading skills. Twice recently I missed an important point in an article/blog post. This is strike number three. Time to post on the subject, I guess.

No one has to know theology to explain their love of Christ. Theology is sort of like film criticism - it can be interesting and help explain things at times, but it isn't the same as the film itself.

I like your #3, 4 and 5.

Will work on this over the weekend.

3:12 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Will.

4:42 PM  
Blogger PamBG said...

Hi Crystal: I'm on vacation at the moment and have just seen your meme. Just to let you know I'm not ignoring you!

6:27 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Pam. I hope you're having a great time :-)

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home