My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Elizabeth or Mary


- Redgrave and Dalton

Jeff mentioned the latest movie about Queen Elizabeth I in a recent post .... I'm not Elizabeth's biggest fan but tend to sympathize more with her adversaries, including Mary I of Scotland, whom she executed. I'd like to say I base my feelings in this on history alone, but I've been just as influenced by the tweaked points of view of movies and novels :-)

One movie on those times that comes to mind (Netflix has it) is Mary Queen of Scots, a 1972 film starring Vanessa Redgrave as Mary, Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth, and Timothy Dalton as the creepy Lord Darnley. You've got to love a movie that has both Catherine de' Medici and John Knox as characters. The film is to be remade next year with Scarlett Johansson in the title role.


8 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Bloody Mary? I've never seen that movie. That's one that sounds like it's worth checking out. Years ago, Nicholas and Alexandra came out at about the same time (incredible film), and I rememebr seeing the previews for Mary, Queen of Scots. Looks like a great cast.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Liam said...

Hi Crystal, I'm back!

8:42 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Jeff,

Nope, not Bloddy Mary. She (the bloody one) was Elizabeth's half sister who got that name for killing all the Protestants. Nicholas and Alexandra! :-)

10:41 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam - there better be tons of photos! :-)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

That's right.. my bad. Mary Stuart, not Mary Tudor. I always get them mixed up. Some historian I'd make...

Mary Queen of Scots really got a raw deal.

11:39 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

It's hard for anyone to keep them straight with all the weird intermarriags and similar names :-)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

I'm waiting to get the pictures. There will be a lot.

If you want problems with confusing names, study medieval Spanish history. Everyone has the same name. At one point there was a war between Castile, Aragon and Navarra, the kings of which all had the same name. It was known as the "War of the three Sanchos." Seriously.

2:51 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I look forward to seeing the photos. Glad you're back :-)

It's like the medieval baby's name books only had one page.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home