My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Rupert and Joyce

Today when I picked up a book, the bookmark dropped out and I saw it was a page with a poem on it - In Memory of Rupert Brooke by Joyce Kilmer. I looked it up on Google and instead came to a poem with almost the same name - A Memory (by Rupert Brooke).

Here are both poems ....


- Rupert Brooke

A Memory

Somewhile before the dawn I rose, and stept
Softly along the dim way to your room,
And found you sleeping in the quiet gloom,
And holiness about you as you slept.
I knelt there; till your waking fingers crept
About my head, and held it. I had rest
Unhoped this side of Heaven, beneath your breast.
I knelt a long time, still; nor even wept.

It was great wrong you did me; and for gain
Of that poor moment's kindliness, and ease,
And sleepy mother-comfort!
Child, you know
How easily love leaps out to dreams like these,
Who has seen them true. And love that's wakened so
Takes all too long to lay asleep again.

- Rupert Brooke, Waikiki, October 1913



- Joyce Kilmer

In Memory of Rupert Brooke

In alien earth, across a troubled sea,
His body lies that was so fair and young.
His mouth is stopped, with half his songs unsung;
His arm is still, that struck to make men free.
But let no cloud of lamentation be
Where, on a warrior's grave, a lyre is hung.
We keep the echoes of his golden tongue,
We keep the vision of his chivalry.
So Israel's joy, the loveliest of kings,
Smote now his harp, and now the hostile horde.
To-day the starry roof of Heaven rings
With psalms a soldier made to praise his Lord;
And David rests beneath Eternal wings,
Song on his lips, and in his hand a sword.

- Joyce Kilmer


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home