My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Inkheart, the book


- Dustfinger and Gwin

Later this month a movie will be coming out called Inkheart, starring Brenden Fraser and Helen Mirren. I liked the trailer for it so much, I looked up the book from which it was adapted and found it was the first in a trilogy written by a German woman, Cornelia Funke. Lucky for me, it has been translated and made into audio discs (my copy from the library is read by Lyn Redgrave) and though I think it's meant for children, I like it very much - my favorite character is Gwin, a horned marten belonging to Dustfinger. Here's a little about the story from Wikipedia ....

The book is about a 12-year-old girl named Meggie Folchart whose life changes dramatically when she realizes that her father, a bookbinder named Mortimer (Mo), has an unusual ability: when he reads aloud, he can bring characters from books into the real world. Meggie and Mo's adventure takes them throughout Europe, particularly Italy, and brings them into contact with many unusual characters.

You can read the first chapter of the book here and you can listen to a sample of the audio book here.


- and the book's official website is fun too


2 Comments:

Blogger cowboyangel said...

her father, a bookbinder named Mortimer (Mo), has an unusual ability: when he reads aloud, he can bring characters from books into the real world.

Hmm. Isn't this the same plot idea as that new Adam Sandler movie?

This sounds fun. And, hey, Helen Mirren. I'll go see it!

5:58 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I like Helen too. And Brenden Fraser :)

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home