My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Illuminated medieval manuscripts

One place I like to visit is the Museum Meermanno and Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The Hague: Interactive Presentation of Handwritings. I can't understand most of it because I don't read the language, but they have beautiful illustrated manuscripts for viewing. Sadly, a lot of them are just thumbnails so far, but if you have patience, you can find some enlargements. Here are a few examples ....


- 73D245 communion of the apostles: Christ giving bread (host) and/or wine to the (standing) apostles


- 73C721 Christ explaining his doctrine to the apostles and disciples


- 73C6113 Christ orders (six) jars to be filled with water ~ marriage-feast at Cana


7 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

That's a wonderful link, thank you!

I enjoy your blog very much.

11:37 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Rebecca - very kind :)

11:57 PM  
Blogger victor said...

Those pictures for whatever reasons got me thinking about Jesus walking on water.

I hear ya Crystal! I won't ask what "IT" was that made you think such a thing Victor! :)

Anyway! I'm sure that there still are some who would probably say, 'It's because He couldn't swim.'

Peace

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Paul Maurice Martin said...

Crystal, thanks for sharing this.

While I'm not so traditional in my perspective, I really like the various sorts of tableaus/portrayals associated with church. Not sure how much it’s my Catholic upbringing and how much it’s just because the paintings, stained glass, architecture, and even the smaller forms of art like this, really are beautiful.

Even as a kid, I liked all the little statuettes you got, say, at First Communion, and the prayer books with the kind of glittery gold at the edges of the pages. Also the religious aspects of Christmas decorations - the angels, the star, the manger scene...

11:04 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Victor,

why did Jesus walk on water - because he couldn't swin ...

:)

11:12 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Paul,

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons I was drawn to Catholicism - the art/architecture.

11:13 AM  
Blogger victor said...

Be careful Crystal cause there are some who might say that He didn't learn how to swim because He was just too busy swin...dling others to become His Apostles. :)

God Bless,

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home