My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Text This Week


- Codex Aureus Epternacensis

The gospel reading for tomorrow is one of my favorites, Matthew 20:1-16, a parable in which the kingdom of heaven is said to be like a landowner paying all the laborers who worked in his vineyard the same amount, whether they worked all day or only an hour.

One place I visit when looking up scriptural stuff is The Text This Week, which has a searchable index of passages with results of homilies and sermons, and also related artwork. Their page for Matthew 20:1-16 has links to sermons by Tertullian, Thomas Aquinas, Luther, Wesley, as well as contemporary guys like Abdrew Greeley .... it's interesting to see the difference in interpretation between the older and later sermons.


4 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

When I was a teenager I worked for a midway owner for about three summers and he literally paid his staff that way. I remember having talked about "IT" in a comment so I will spare you this time cause "IT" was probably done here. :)

I think that you would agree with me when I say that what really counts is that Jesus was for real and we are all equal in His Eyes cause He forgives all our sins if we ask Him with a sincere heart.

Do I hear an Amen? :)

8:04 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yes, I agree :)

8:26 PM  
Blogger borky said...

I probably won't visit this site again, (having dropped by in pursuit of info about the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake), but I've ended up reading quite a few of your pieces, (and even 'nicked' a copy of your Martyrdom of St. Cecilia by Orazio Riminaldi pic).

But you seem like a genuinely good hearted person, with an apparently authentic will to do the right thing, (with no sign of the usual flashing monstrous carbuncle of a 'see my halo' sign that usually accompanies all 'good' people of a certain self regarding kind).

But it must be a terrific strain on the nervous system at times being, (as I understand it), a convert to another religion, especially one which exhibits positions of current dogma that one isn't completely sympathetic with, viz your young gays piece.

Anyway, good luck to you, (which I contend literally/etymologically means 'God's Light to you').

1:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

borky,

Thanks for the comment and kind words.

Nope I'm not a good person but one constantly coming face to face with my shortcomings :).

Yes, it is very difficult for me to be a Catholic given the Church stance on gays, women, ecumenism, etc. I do like Ignatian spirituality, though, which is my compensation.

If you're interested in the Lisbon earthquake, I had a past post about David B Hart which mentions that ..... David Hart and Voltaire.

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home