My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Free speech


- philosopher John Searle at a Berkeley free speech rally

I saw today that this year is the 45th anniversary of a speech given by Mario Savio on the UC Berkeley campus as part of the Free Speech Movement in which students demanded the university lift a ban on on-campus political activities and acknowledge the students' right to free speech and academic freedom. You can read what John Searle, who was a Berkeley philosophy professor there at the time, has to say about it here.

Here's just a bit of the speech given by Mario on the Sproul Hall steps, December 2, 1964 - it still seems relevant today .....

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."


6 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

I'll try not to get too far off topic here when "IT" comes to free speech.

As a young sixty year old, I seem to have learned that there's an equal and opposite reaction to reality as we know "IT" and spiritual reality. You might say kind of like good and bad, right or wrong, negative and positive and finally balanced or not balanced that is the question?

"IT" is way too deep for little old i so I'll just tell you of a movie that my wife and i watched last night. I'm not much on titles but I think this one was called something like 30 days of night which took place in Alaska.

Without spoiling the movie, let's just say that "IT" was, depending on who's side one is on, an evil/good spiritual free speech movie with plenty of free speech in "IT" but at the end, "The Son" came and saved the day for the spiritual world although in reality, free speech was
very costly for our sun!

Does that make any sense?:)

Peace

2:21 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

Now I'm wondering what movie that was :) I think I've only seen one recently that took place in Alaska - Insomnia.

2:37 PM  
Blogger victor said...

Sorry crystal, I can't help you and my wife agrees that "IT" was called "30 days of nights" and the director wanted his audience to believe that "IT" took place in Alaska because of all the advertising that we saw. None of my favorite actors were in "IT" so I can't even help you there. :(

Hang in there crystal! Some body or somebody will come to the rescue in "Time" somehow I'm sure! :)

Good Luck but knowing you "IT" won't cause too much of a problem.

3:05 PM  
Blogger victor said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Days_of_Night

What do you know found "IT".

Hey, I heard that! But I'm not always that lazy!:)

God Bless,

Peace

3:12 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Vampires :)

7:23 PM  
Blogger victor said...

What can I say! We don't usually watch stuff like this but for some reason which God only knows, last night, we kind of enjoyed "IT". Maybe there was a subliminal message in there for us sinners! Go Figure! :)

Peace

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home