My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stretching the Imago Dei

Here I sit eating corn chowder while a storm rages outside (Strongest October storm since 1962 pounds Bay Area). The electricity keeps going off and this is the second third time I've tried to get through writing this post, so so I hope I can finish it before I lose the computer again.

I saw an interesting post today about the Imago Dei. Wikipedia describes the term thusly ... The Image of God (Hebrew: צֶלֶם אֱלֹהִים‎; tzelem elohim, lit. "image of God", often appearing in Latin as Imago Dei) is a concept and theological doctrine that asserts that human beings are created in God's image and therefore have inherent value independent of their utility or function.

The post was at A Thinking Reed - The cosmic prodigal son - and here's a bit of it ......

*******************************

I’ve been reading a book called Created from Animals: the Moral Implications of Darwinism by the late philosopher James Rachels .... What Rachels is trying to show is that Darwinism pulls the lynchpin of “human dignity” out of our existing moral framework by undermining crucial beliefs that support it .... For the purposes of this post, let’s focus on the imago dei doctrine. According to Rachels, the traditional view that human beings are created in the divine image means that “the world [was] intended to be [humanity's] habitation, and everything else in it given for [our] enjoyment and use” (p. 86). The evolutionary picture of the world, Rachels contends, undermines this .... one of the great idols of the Christian tradition has been precisely the view that creation was made just for us and all other creatures were given for our enjoyment and use. While there are certainly parts of the Bible that support such a view, modern biblical scholars have pointed out that a “humano-centric” interpretation of the Bible (as distinguished from a theo-centric one) is profoundly distorting.

The Bible is clear in many passages that creation exists not for our sake, but for the creator’s sake. God creates all that is and calls it “good” (not “good for us”). After the flood in Genesis, God makes a covenant with all flesh, not just with humanity. The Psalms tell us repeatedly that creatures of land, air, and sea praise their creator in their own language, without the mediation of human beings. God’s admonition to Job is that the creator’s purposes encompass far more than parochial human interests. The apocryphal Wisdom of Solomon praises the mercy and love of the Lord: “you love all things that are and loathe nothing that you have made; for what you hated, you would not have fashioned.” Jesus insists that our heavenly Father cares for the lillies of the field and the sparrows of the air. St. Paul contends that “all things” are reconciled in Christ and that the entire creation is groaning for liberation from bondage.

Rachels isn’t wrong to see the anthropocentric interpretation as the dominant one in Christian history. This may have been encouraged by a secular philosophy that defined the imago primarily as reason and free will, thus emphasizing the distinction between human beings and other creatures. A more “functionalist” understanding of humanity’s role as caretakers or gardeners of the earth, by contrast, emphasizes our embededness in and responsibility to the rest of creation .....

*************************


1 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

Very interesting post indeed crystal and by the way I hope that "IT" does not turn into one of those storms that Dorothy found herself encountered in.

I hear ya! If "IT" is Victor, you can be my Wizard of Oz! :)

I had written a peace for this post but "IT" is way too long so I'll just say that I believe that Our Heavenly Father really did make this world for His Loving Family and of course He's a part of "IT". I would even dare to say that Our Heavenly Mother is also there waiting to welcome each and everyone of our cells.

Some may think that "IT" is mostly the pleasure of the flesh that truly exist but in deep thoughts, "Faith" has told me and dare I, me and myself say that Spiritual Mother Mary was always around as Angels are still around nowadays. In God's Eyes, woman and children have always been the strongest and we should thank "LOVE" for keeping them weak.

Trust me crystal, we were all made in the image of our god but who is our god? As much as I love sinner vic, I would never make him my true god no matter how powerful he might think he is!

God Bless and please keep praying for sinner vic cause Victor is not doing too bad at this moment but come Hollowe'en, "IT" might be a different story if he ever stops praying.

I hear ya crystal! Well if you ask me Victor, sinner vic does seem to enjoy exagerating like you do and my only advice would be for both of you to try and stick to "Reality" as much as possible until "The Judgement Day and stop messing around!"

You think? :)

Peace

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home