My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 26, 2010

A theologian's view

I saw an interesting post at America magazine's blog - The Expiration Date of This Catholicism: Being a Theologian in an Abusive Church by Tom Beaudoin, a professor of theology at Fordham university, who writes in part ...

I am a member of a church that has abused thousands of kids and teenagers over the last several decades. How does my work in religion and culture relate to this trauma, to this Catholic evil? I have argued in a recent book that “the physical-spiritual violence toward thousands and thousands of young souls in the past several decades calls fundamentally into question the content and purpose of thinking for and with this religious institution. As theologian Stephen Pattison has argued, the ‘long-overdue ‘discovery’ of child abuse must be to Western theologians what the challenge of the poor has been to colleagues in South America—an imperative to a fundamental re-visioning of theology.’ Sexual abuse of minors is the awful lodestar for all future American Catholic theology.”


9 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

I have been so busy that I have not been near the America blog... wow. Thank you for linking to this. Thank you and thank Tom Boudoin!

5:35 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Fran. Thanks for the comment :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Thanks from me, too, for the post. You know, I think this has pushed me over the brink. I agree with the author. I think it's time for re-theologizing. I might and perhaps should call a lot of the contributing things into question: the Church's preoccupation with secrecy, the all-clerical, hierarchical nature of the Church's structure and governance, and more.

I just wrote in my blog on two NCR NCR about this. What finally hit me the most, though, the quote I mentioned at the end of my post.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I meant "It," not "I," at the beginning of that 3rd sentence!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Oops again! I meant the 4th sentence!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I can't believe it -- "It" instead of "I" at the beginning of that FIFTH sentence!" Sorry, Crystal.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Richard Demma said...

Stop drinking those great single malt scotches, Deacon Denny!

4:02 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hee hee :)

Denny - I'll have to visit your blog and see what that quote says.

5:42 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jayden, thanks for dropping by :)

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home