My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

William Barry SJ on the Spiritual Exercises



I just watched a video about the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola which featured four Jesuits, William Barry, John O'Malley, Joseph Tetlow, and John Padberg talking about the retreat: the Principle and Foundation, the first week through fourth, and the contemplation for attaining love.

You can find the video at this Georgetown University page but it played better for me here at iTunes.

The video begins with a brief introduction, then a short talk by Fr. O'Malley (The First Jesuits and What Happened at Vatican II), then both Fr. Tetlow and Fr. Padberg talk about the Exercises, and finally Fr. Barry, who's trained as a clinical psychologist, compares the stages of the Exercises to the stages of a friendship. I think it's worth a watch, especially Fr. Barry's part .... wish he'd spoken longer.

And just to mention - those of you who might be interested in the Spiritual Exercises but who can't get to a retreat center for whatever reason, it's possible to learn more about and make a Spiritual Exercises retreat in everyday life (19th Annotation) at places like Creighton University's Online Retreat page (hopefully with the aid of a spiritual director).


4 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Thanks, Crystal -- this looks like a good post as an introduction to the Exercises. Often I find parishioners who I think might be good candidates for the SEEL. Now I have something to suggest to them.

10:26 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

I saw that Georgetown U has a lot of videos at their page - one of them is a video of John O'Malley talking about Vatican II - I'm looking forward to watching that one.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

I've been reading about Barry in Fr. Martin's new book. This looks fascinating. Thanks for this!

3:57 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Fran,

Fr. Martin's new book looks like it will be good. Fr. Barry has lots of books. I've got most of them and really liked them all.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home