My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

More on the letter

I thought I'd add to my previous post that Bryan Cones at US Catholic also has a post about Hnas Küng's letter - Pope Benedict five years on - that's worth a read. Here's part of it ...

************************

[...] Kung's critique is a fair one, and I'd go as far as to say that in these five years the Ratzinger papacy has lurched from catastrophe to catastrophe, beginning with the Regensburg speech of 2006, continuing with the unconditional rehabilitation of the bishops of the Society of St. Pius X, and culminating in the international sex abuse crisis, which is only going to get bigger .....

But now we must ask: Where are the world's bishops? Why won't anyone offer an alternative approach? What do they have to lose in speaking their minds from their experience as pastors? The church is foundering and about to hit the rocks, and too many of us are arranging deck chairs.

Kung raises good, hard questions, but I fear his letter will fall on deaf ears. Now is the time for openness, for public discussion, and for a new beginning, but no one in power seems to have the nerve. The fact of the matter is that the church is now too large and too diverse to be run by a medieval bureaucracy in the capital of an ancient empire. The gospel and the disciples called to proclaim it deserve better.

**********************


6 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Crystal,

There are always two sides to every story and so I am posting a link to the other side:

http://insightscoop.typepad.com/2004/2010/04/uh-thats-küng-catholic-church-not-roman-catholic-church.html

I am not saying I agree with it but in the interest of balance I offer another viewpoint.

Have a good night my friend.

Pax,

Henry

7:01 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the link to the Insight Scoop post. It's kind of mean-spirited, I think, but as you say, an example of the other point of view.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Crystal,

You are very kind because I think the Insight Scoop post is VERY mean-spirited!

That's why I said that I didn't agree with it and if I find something that's a bit more balanced, I will let you know.

Pax,

Henry

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Crystal,

Here's a more balanced letter on the first things blog (except for the first paragraph)- An Open Letter to Hans Küng - George Weigel:

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/04/an-open-letter-to-hans-kung

Pax,

Henry

11:37 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Henry,

Thanks for the link. Dueling letters :)

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Crystal,

LOL!!! Yes, dueling letters! Sometimes I feel like we in the Church are in one big sandbox and you'll what I mean if you ever watch kids play in a sandbox.

And poor Christ must be sitting there shaking His head. ;)

Pax my friend,

Henry

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home