My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 04, 2010

A prayer

Fr. James Martin SJ wrote a prayer (see What is a Catholic response to gay suicide?) for people who can be made to feel so very alone .....

A Prayer When I Feel Hated

Loving God, you made me who I am. I praise you and I love you, for I am wonderfully made, in your own image.

But when people make fun of me, I feel hurt and embarrassed and even ashamed. So please God, help me remember my own goodness, which lies in you. Help me remember my dignity, which you gave me when I was conceived. Help me remember that I can live a life of love. Because you created my heart.

Be with me when people make fun of me, and help me to respond how you would want me to, in a love that respects other, but also respects me. Help me find friends who love me for who I am. Help me, most of all, to be a loving person.

And God, help me remember that Jesus loves me. For he was seen as an outcast, too. He was misunderstood, too. He was beaten and spat upon. Jesus understands me, and loves me with a special love, because of the way you made me. And when I am feeling lonely, help me to remember that Jesus welcomed everyone as a friend. Jesus reminded everyone that God loved them. And Jesus encouraged everyone to embrace their dignity, even when others were blind to that dignity. Jesus loved everyone with the love that you gave him. And he loves me, too.

One more thing, God: Help me remember that nothing is impossible with you, that you have a way of making things better, that you can find a way of love for me, even if I can’t see it right now. Help me remember all these things in the heart you created, loving God.

Amen.


- James Martin, SJ


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was looking at your blog and I like it. I want to invite you to become my blog friend, and if you follow me, I will follow you...

What do you think?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Jesse

7:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi. I don't actually like the "follower" thing, which is why I have that thing hidden from my template. But I'm always glad to have people drop by here and I will visit your blog too :)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Cura Animarum said...

Such a very nice prayer Crystal. I'm actually going to copy it and send it to my daughter through facebook. She's struggled with many of these bullying issues herself.

7:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Cura,

Yeah, I admire Fr. Martin for caring about stuff like this. I still remember some of the mean things people said to me when I was in school, like that I was so pale I looked like I'd been dipped in milk :) I can smile now (ok, I actually can't :) but when you're a teen you don't have much perspective.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

What an EXCELLENT prayer. I too am going to send that to people. I saw that you also were the first to post on the "comments" for the column!
Thanks, Crystal.

10:37 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny :)

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home