My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 30, 2011

Liberty

Tonight I watched the director's cut of Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. It's almost a different movie - a lot must have been cut to make the theatrical version that I saw earlier (see my review here). But anyway, as I came to the part where Russell Crowe's character speaks of liberty to his king, I was thinking not of medieval feudalism and John Plantagenet but instead of the pope and our present day church: that last absolute monarchy of the west, run by a ruler legally untouchable, whose clergy dare not speak truth to power lest they lose their jobs, and which ironically speaks itself of liberty, the liberty to discriminate against others .... :(

Ah well, here's the speech ......




4 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

That speech REALLY made me want to see what was going to happen next. I like the "populist" Russel Crowe -- loved Gladiator too.

8:16 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

I like him too. Have you seen either The Insider or The Next Three Days? I thought he was really good in both of those movies.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I did see The Insider, but not The Next Three Days...That gives me something to look up!

8:54 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Denny, I had a post about it here ... http://povcrystal.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-promise-you-this-will-not-be-your.html

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home