My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering Grendel today



Grendel was a stray cat that I first saw one night when she looked in at me through the screen door. and once she had three kittens in the garage, we adopted them all. Grendel was an outdoor cat and I slowly tried to turn her into an indoor only cat (like her babies) - for a while we compromised and she wore a little harness and I took her for walks around the yard on a leash :). There were some hard times with her - she got a herpes blister once on her eyeball (eek!) and my mom and I had to apply hot wet compresses to the eye twice a day for weeks while Grendel had to wear the dreaded elizabethan collar. She was very affectionate and the only one of the four cats who liked to be picked up, who liked to be groomed. When older she got feline hyperthyroidism and then later chronic renal failure and though we spent some time giving her medication and sub-Q fluids, eventually she passed away. Miss her still.


2 Comments:

Blogger Mike L said...

Grendel was a beautiful cat, and I know how much you still miss her. Kiki's spirit seems to be roaming around lately and I have been remembering her.

Wonder if she had her paw in last weeks events. Susannah was outside and heard what she first thought was a bid, then thought it might be a cat so she called "kitty, kitty, kitty." A face appeared in the leaves of a tree and down came a little white kitten with a solid black tail and a couple of black spots. Into Susannah's arms then into my heart.

The vet says about 3 1/2 months old and in good shape. Well maybe if starved is good shape. He is eating more than the adult cats and no food is safe when he is awake.

He is fearless, has already tamed the two adult cats and bopped both the dogs at one time or another. Ankles are not safe from him either.

Life has become more interesting in the Laing houshold this week.

Hugs,

Mike L

6:21 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

The little balck-tailed cat sounds like a lot of fun - ankle-biting :)

I think about getting another pet sometimes but now that I'm here by myself there's no one to help me see what might need to be seen, and money is very tight. Also I guess I just kind of dread it emotionally too. Maybe someday things will be more conductive for that.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home