My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 07, 2014

Warsi quits

Reading in the UK news that Baroness Warsi , a Minister for Faith and Communities in David Cameron's government, has quit over his stance on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict (she's pro-Palestinian). I'm not British, of course, but I won't miss her ... when ever I've seen her name in the news, it's always been linked to conservative causes. The Catholic Church in the UK is sorry to see her leave, though ... with them she has been an obstacle to equality for LGBT folks (Adviser to Tory leader attacks gay sex laws and Baroness Warsi’s 'concern' over effect of gay marriage laws on religious groups) and an opponent of what they both characterize as militant secularism (Britain being overtaken by 'militant secularists', says Baroness Warsi). Not surprising that she was loved by Benedict's Vatican (Lady Warsi gets rapturous reception at Vatican for speech on faith).

I don't quite understand politics in the UK ... conservatives and liberals don't always stand where you would expect them to on issues, at least from a US perspective ... but here's a discussion from The (politically conservative) Spectator on why she might have quit ...


3 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

Isn't her being a Muslim in that government enough reason for her to quit right now?

1:47 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dina,

I'm not sure. She's not the only Muslim in the UK government - there are others in parliament, like Lord Ahmed. If she disagreed with a policy I guess she could either leave or work to change it from within?

2:13 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hmmm - maybe I shouldn't have posted on this. I'm not sure I understand very well how the UK system works.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home