My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 15, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past



This week's movie rental was X-Men: Days of Future Past ...

a 2014 superhero film based on the fictional X-Men characters that appear in Marvel Comics. Directed by Bryan Singer, it is the seventh installment of the X-Men film series and acts as a sequel to both 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand and 2011's X-Men: First Class. The story, inspired by the 1981 Uncanny X-Men storyline "Days of Future Past" produced by Chris Claremont and John Byrne, focuses on two time periods and Wolverine going to 1973 to save the future of mankind. The film stars an ensemble cast, including Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Peter Dinklage, Ian McKellen, and Patrick Stewart.

The film has Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and Magneto (Ian McKellen) working together to send Wolverine's consciousness back 50 years to 1973 so that he can altar events that will cause, have caused, a terrible situation by 2023. It was kind of fun, the 1973 bit of the movie .... there was a new character introduced, Quicksilver, who had an incredible scene in which he moved so quickly that time for everyone else seemed to stand still, and as he did so, the Jim Coice "Time in a Bottle" song played in the background ;) There was another scene with a tv showing Captain Kirk in a Star Trek episode - heh ...


- "We're going backward in time."

But I was especially touched by the end of the movie which takes place in a remade 2023 .... those who had been lost were now found and the lion could lay down with the lamb ... Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, it doesn’t mean they’re lost forever. Sometimes we need a little help ... hope.

I don't know if non X-Men fans will like the film, but I grew up reading X-Men comics, so for me it was fun. Here's a review of the movie from the Guardian ... X-Men: Days of Future Past review - 'like trying to follow two games of chess at once'

And a trailer ...


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never read an X-Men comic in my life and I LOVED this film. I saw it twice in the theaters, in two weekends back to back. The last time I did that was The Dark Knight.

I loved the characters, and James MacAvoy was so impressive! I've never really liked him as an actor but he was so impressive in this film.

4:59 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

He was good. The only movie I had seen him in before was The Conspirator which I didn't like it much.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is a ton to like here. Days of Future Past is full of awesome scenes, strong characters, the plot flows very well, keeps some of the style of First Class, but is a little deeper.

2:20 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

It's nice too that some of the earlier characters were brought back too - I missed the professor :)

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Top rated site for Bear tours in Alaska said...

The action and effects are handled expertly and as with previous X-Men films and comics, there is speechifying, unlikely alliances, sudden betrayals and the dénouement will have fans of the original movies swooning.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Marlene Detierro said...

Excellent movie. Great writing and stories. I loved seeing a lot of the characters I grew up reading about. I won't get into the story. But it was done well. I did not like J-Law as mystique she did not do well. All the other actors did a great job. A lot of familiar faces and some fresh ones too. Great action. Paced well. And tied stories and future stories together well.

Marlene
PicCell Wireless

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home