My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 06, 2015

CNN's "Finding Jesus"

Have you been watching the CNN series Finding Jesus? I don't have tv but I've just noticed the episodes can be watched online from CNN here. The series has dealt with the shroud of Turin in the first episode and the bones of John the Baptist in the second. Many familiar figures are involved in the tv series, including James Martin SJ, Mark Goodacre, Ben Witherington, Candida Moss, and Michael Peppard.

Here's an interview with Mark Goodacre on the show ... Finding Jesus': Shroud of Turin Q&A

I haven't seen any of the episodes yet but they should be interesting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dina said...

On my laptop I watched Finding Jesus, the one about the shroud, and found it overly long (a whole hour with all the commercials), repetitive, and disappointing.
Plus I couldn't believe one professor talked about the "embalming" of Jesus' body, something Jews never did!
Maybe CNN should stick to news reporting instead.

11:31 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh no. Thanks, Dina - I haven't watched an of it yet and now I wonder if I should. If the show didn't have any Jewish contributors, they should have!

11:43 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

OK, I watched the shroud episode. It was kind of disappointing .... the details of gospel stories treated as if they were from proven factual historical documents, an almost discounting of the carbon dating results for the shroud, statements made like "this is the actual blood of Jesus Christ" ... sigh :(

10:07 PM  
Blogger Dina said...

While on the subject ...
Avinoam Danin, Prof. Emeritus of Botany at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, discovered that flowers and pollen on the shroud were types that only grow in the Jerusalem area, and only in early spring! He published his book "Botany of the Shroud" in English and Spanish in 2010-11. Danin is often invited to present his findings, all over the world.
A brief video of him explaining at
http://www.shroudplantbook.com/

7:19 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Dina - very interesting. I guess my initial feeling about relics is always skeptical. They seems so convenient.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home