My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Complaining to God



I prayed for Carrie Fisher to get well. Instead she died and now, one day later, her mother has died as well. I can only imagine the suffering of their surviving family. To quote Richard Leonard SJ, where the hell is God? :(

Even complaining to God is a form of prayer, pope says

To complain to God in moments of doubt and fear like Abraham did is not something bad but rather is a form of prayer that requires the courage to hope beyond all hope, Pope Francis said.

While in life there may be times of frustration and darkness, "hope is still there and it moves us forward," the pope said Dec. 28 during his weekly general audience.

"I won't say that Abraham loses patience, but he complains to the Lord. This is what we learn from our father Abraham: complaining to the Lord is a form of prayer. Sometimes I hear confessions where people say, 'I complained to the Lord.' But no. (Continue) to complain; he is a father and this is a form of prayer. Complain to the Lord, this is good," he said ...


I'm glad to read this because complaining is pretty much the only kind of prayer I pray nowadays. Just tonight I said to my sister, 'why doesn't God help people who are suffering? I mean, it's kind of his job. If he's not going to help us, what good is he?'.

Some have told me that it's mercenary to expect God to help but I don't think that's true. A child rightly expects help from his parents with things he can't accomplish himself. And Jesus said that God was like a good parent ...

Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for a fish, will give a snake instead of a fish? Or if the child asks for an egg, will give a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!

So back to my question - why do so many prayers go unanswered?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home