My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Day one



I watched bits of the first day of the impeachment trial: Bitter exchanges and incriminating evidence rock Trump's impeachment trial.

The House managers did a good job of laying out the case against Trump and explaining why witnesses and documents should be called. The Trump defense team didn't address the evidence but instead made a 'so what' case, with the occasional lie thrown in.

I think many had hope that once the Republicans in the Senate actually heard the evidence against Trump, they would "see the light" and decide to vote for witnesses and documents, maybe even vote to impeach. I didn't have any hope of this. The Republican Senators were not unaware of the facts, it's just that those facts don't matter to them. They have sold their souls to Trump and they will not turn now, no matter what he has done.

I find this depressing and sickening. I've seen both the Nixon and Clinton impeachments and I'm pretty negative about human nature and politics, but I never would have thought so many would embrace the evil of Trump in order to benefit themselves at the expense of the country.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I didn't expect anything different from the Republican senate. They've been telling us what they are all along. The trial does serve the purpose of laying things out in a public way. History won't be kind to this moment.

12:35 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah. I was watching Adam Schiff speak earlier. I thought he was pretty persuasive but I guess the Republicans made up their minds before the trial ever began. I've tried to remember how I felt during the Clinton impeachment but I can't really. At worst, we would have had Al Gore as president, which would have been an improvement.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home