My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 17, 2023

St. Patrick's Day

- from St. Mary’s & St. Michael’s Parish Church, New Ross, County Wexford, Ireland

Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have some Irish heritage from my grandmother, a McNeeley.

But they weren't Irish Catholics, they were Scotch-Irish, Scottish Presbyterians who were encouraged to move to Northern Ireland by the English in the 17th century (eeeek, they were on the side of the bad guys). I think they moved here at least by the time of the American Revolution, because I remember Auntie Bert, my grandmother's sister, wanting to join the DAR.

Sadly, when I was young I was totally uncurious about the family past and never really asked them about it. Now it's too late.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

My mom's side were Scots Irish too. From the family name it was thought they came to Ireland originally from the Isle of Skye in the 1700s, after the Battle of Culloden Marsh and the fall of the clan system. Hard to be sure since records weren't kept.
My husbands ancestors were from County Sligo.

6:51 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Sadly, I don't have that level of detail. Maybe we're related :)

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home