My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 01, 2006

Hart's Theodicy

There's been a post on Steve's blog the last few days that's very troubling. It has to do with the mistreatment and death of a small child. The question that inevitably artises for me in such situations is ... why. Why does God let bad things happen, and leaving aside that question, why, once they've happened, doesn't he intervene and fix what's wrong?

I've never found satisfying answers to these questions, so I'm always on the lookout for a good theodicy argument. Wikipedia says of theodicy ...

... The term theodicy comes from the Greek θεός (theós, "god") and δίκη (díkē, "justice"), meaning literally "the justice of God". The term was coined in 1710 by the German philosopher Gottfried Leibniz .... In his Dictionnaire historique et critique, the well-known sceptic Pierre Bayle denied the goodness and omnipotence of God on account of the sufferings experienced in this earthly life. The Théodicée of Leibniz was directed mainly against Bayle ....

Yesterday I came across an old article in First Things - Tsunami and Theodicy by theologian David B. Hart. I'm not sure I agree with (or understand) completely what Hart had to say, but it did touch me, and moreover, it was refreshing in its lack of rationalization ... he didn't try to make suffering either understandable or acceptble. Here below are outtakes from the article ...

*****************************

... troubling are the attempts of some Christians to rationalize this catastrophe in ways that, however inadvertently, make that argument all at once seem profound. And these attempts can span almost the entire spectrum of religious sensibility: they can be cold with Stoical austerity, moist with lachrymose piety, wanly roseate with sickly metaphysical optimism ....

... Christian thought has traditionally, of necessity, defined evil as a privation of the good, possessing no essence or nature of its own, a purely parasitic corruption of reality; hence it can have no positive role to play in God’s determination of Himself or purpose for His creatures (even if by economy God can bring good from evil); it can in no way supply any imagined deficiency in God’s or creation’s goodness. Being infinitely sufficient in Himself, God had no need of a passage through sin and death to manifest His glory in His creatures or to join them perfectly to Himself. This is why it is misleading (however soothing it may be) to say that the drama of fall and redemption will make the final state of things more glorious than it might otherwise have been. No less metaphysically incoherent—though immeasurably more vile—is the suggestion that God requires suffering and death to reveal certain of his attributes (capricious cruelty, perhaps? morbid indifference? a twisted sense of humor?). It is precisely sin, suffering, and death that blind us to God’s true nature.

There is, of course, some comfort to be derived from the thought that everything that occurs at the level of what Aquinas calls secondary causality—in nature or history—is governed not only by a transcendent providence, but by a universal teleology that makes every instance of pain and loss an indispensable moment in a grand scheme whose ultimate synthesis will justify all things. But consider the price at which that comfort is purchased: it requires us to believe in and love a God whose good ends will be realized not only in spite of—but entirely by way of—every cruelty, every fortuitous misery, every catastrophe, every betrayal, every sin the world has ever known; it requires us to believe in the eternal spiritual necessity of a child dying an agonizing death from diphtheria, of a young mother ravaged by cancer, of tens of thousands of Asians swallowed in an instant by the sea, of millions murdered in death camps and gulags and forced famines. It seems a strange thing to find peace in a universe rendered morally intelligible at the cost of a God rendered morally loathsome. Better, it seems to me, the view of the ancient Gnostics: however ludicrous their beliefs, they at least, when they concluded that suffering and death were essential aspects of the creator’s design, had the good sense to yearn to know a higher God.

I do not believe we Christians are obliged—or even allowed—to look upon the devastation visited upon the coasts of the Indian Ocean and to console ourselves with vacuous cant about the mysterious course taken by God’s goodness in this world, or to assure others that some ultimate meaning or purpose resides in so much misery. Ours is, after all, a religion of salvation; our faith is in a God who has come to rescue His creation from the absurdity of sin and the emptiness of death, and so we are permitted to hate these things with a perfect hatred. For while Christ takes the suffering of his creatures up into his own, it is not because he or they had need of suffering, but because he would not abandon his creatures to the grave ....

... As for comfort, when we seek it, I can imagine none greater than the happy knowledge that when I see the death of a child I do not see the face of God, but the face of His enemy ... and that, rather than showing us how the tears of a small girl suffering in the dark were necessary for the building of the Kingdom, He will instead raise her up and wipe away all tears from her eyes—and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor any more pain, for the former things will have passed away, and He that sits upon the throne will say, “Behold, I make all things new.”

****************************

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Crystal,

Yes, this i very hard. I thought much the same thing after reading that post on Steve's blog. Great minds have wrestled with it for millenia, and I appreciate that in our tradition and in the Jewish tradition, God assents to letting himself be put on trial for it (as in the Book of Job).

There may be no satisfactory answer. Like Abraham, we need to put our trust in God in spite of all evidence to the contrary, and believe that it will be credited to us as righteousness. What other alternative do we have?

11:15 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Jeff,

In the rest of that article by Hart, he mentions The Brothers Karamazov and how Ivan decides to just give up on God - not that he doesn't believe in him anymore, but that the price of suffering is to high to have a relationship with him anymore.

I'm trying to trust, thought I'm not a trusting person, and hope that God does eventually "make all things new".

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Steve's posting in kind of a shock. How could this happen, what a horrible way to die. Then a strange thought came to me -- might it not have been worse had the child survived? How badly had he been mistreated before that, how much worse might have been in store? How badly would that experience have warped him?

Perhaps, just perhaps, God chose to relieve him of such pain and took him to Himself. Perhaps God did intervene and fix what was wrong!

Having said that, I still find tears rolling down my cheek that such evil exists in this world.

Hugs,

Mike L

8:23 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Mike,

I agree with you - thanks for your comment.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crystal,

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

I'm a Catholic chaplain at a children's hospital -- have been at it for 23 years now. I've seen more death, up close and personal, than I would ever have imagined I would be able to take. I guess God can also give you a grace that gives you strength that you would never have imagined...

I remember one occasion, some many years ago, when one of the babies, for whom I was caring and praying, died. At the time, I found myself SO ANGRY at God. This innocent being had done nothing wrong; her parents were utterly crushed; and I could see that this illness and death had caused a deep rupture in their relationship as well.

I left the hospital angry, started to drive home; and about twenty minutes later, when I came to my sense and realized how "out of control" I was, I was driving on a highway at about 90 miles an hour. I pulled over, stopped, and just wept, shaking, until a chastened sanity returned.

I don't know why children die -- beautiful, innocent children, so full of promise. If and when I get to heaven, I know that will be the first question I ask.

But facing that stark discontinuity brought me to an even stronger, more basic truth: that I do believe that we have a good and loving God, who does in fact love each of us, more deeply than we can imagine. I do believe this, even in the face of that other, very painful unknowing.

A couple of weeks ago I was called to the emergency room to be with a family -- an extended family -- whose infant baby had died unexpectedly. The mother sobbed continually, unconsolably. Her sister and husband were there, with her own husband, and others. They were all apparently grief-stricken, wondering how such a thing could happen. And yet one of them knew, and had caused the injuries to the head, apparent in an x-ray, that had been the cause of death. It is a horrifying thing to be gently stoking a tiny child's head, in an effort to calm and comfort her mother, and to suddenly realize what had caused her death.

Visitations are seldom so dramatic, but often as challenging. And also, ultimately, very grace-filled. I realize how small my own problems are, how full and blessed my life is, and how mysterious and beautiful is this universe around us.

Denny

11:31 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

thanks for sharing that - I can barely imagine how difficult it can be to try to comfort others who've lost a child.

I'm so mixed up about this stuff. Maybe I've had unrealistic expectations of God and what becoming a believer would mean ... you can love God and be reasonably good and still the most terrible things can happen to you and those you love. I'm not sure what that says about life and God and us. All I know for sure is that I feel very tired.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home