My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Co-Redemptrix?


- Christ taking leave of his mother by Correggio

There's an interesting post at David Gibson's Pontifications blog - The Mary Heresy: Papal support for Co-Redemptrix?. Here's a little bit of it ...

************************

A lobby of hyper-Marianists sees signs that Benedict XVI is open to declaring the dogma that the BVM "corempetrix" of humanity with her Son--that'd be Jesus Christ. From the Vatican, RNS' Francis X. Rocca reports this week:

At least 7 million Catholics from more than 170 countries, including hundreds of bishops and cardinals, have reportedly signed petitions urging the pope to proclaim Mary "the Spiritual Mother of All Humanity, the coredemptrix with Jesus the redeemer, mediatrix of all graces with Jesus the one mediator, and advocate with Jesus Christ on behalf of the human race." ........

Me, I don't see it in Benedict's writings; indeed, if John Paul II, who actually used the "co-redemptrix" phrase, didn't do it, why would Benedict, who is not nearly as "Marian"? Besides, in 2000, Cardinal Ratzinger flat-out nixed the idea, adding that the "formula `Co-redemptrix' departs to too great an extent from the language of Scripture and of the (church) Fathers and therefore gives rise to misunderstandings."

Then again, this so-called dogma (seemes like straightforward heresy to me) has been hanging around for a while. ........ PS: While I might disagree with the proposed dogma, it does allow me to post an image of one of my favorite paintings of all time, Titian's Assumption in Santa Maria dei Frari in Venice.

*****************************

I have to agree with David - I don't see Mary as Co-Redemptrix, but there is some really good Marianist art. Check out Wikipedia's great page on Marian art - lots of pics.


8 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Interesting. I posted about this once too.

Nah, no way, it's way too much. I don't think B16 would ever do it, especially since he's much more Christocentric than Marian himself.

Saw a bunch of Titians up close last week. He was awesome.

2:47 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Did you also go to the Tate gallery? I think that's where many of the pre-raphaelite paintings are. I wish I could go back to London and see all the museums I missed - we didn't even visit one.

3:01 PM  
Blogger victor said...

The way I see "IT" Spiritual Mother Mary is very special indeed because Our Heavenly Father chose Her to carry His Only Begotten Son Jesus and that's if we believe in the spiritual world. Of course we must also give credit to Mary in reality cause she could have said no to Gabriel but then where would humanity be now?

May I go on Crystal?

Sure Victor why not!

Well while I'm at it, let's give some credit to Joseph Her husband who was closer to all of us men and woman then we care to admit and I'm sure that it wasn't easy for him to tell God Our Heavenly Father that he wanted to spend time with Mary in reality and God Our Father understood that and allowed Jesus to have six siblings in reality with Mary but He never once forgot that His Son came to save U.S. and all we need do is accept that like an innocent child and we are saved. My gut tells me that "IT's" for our own protection not to question but simply Trust and I can't explain "IT" and I know that's not easy for most humans to do.

I hear ya! That's enough Victor!

Please keep praying for me Crystal even if you believe that I'm over doing "IT"

I'll close by saying that there are a lot of angels who are very UPSET with me right now and it would take too long to explain what they are doing to me in reality.

God Bless,

Peace

4:18 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

Yes, you're in my prayers. Hope I'm in yours too :)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

No, we didn't get to the Tate, and my daugters gave me a hard time about it. I assumed that they wouldn't be interested, but I was wrong.

I saw the Titians here at the MFA.

1:06 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh nice! Here where I live there are no good museums - you have to go to San Francisco. I wish we had visited the British Museum when we were in London.

4:33 PM  
Blogger PrickliestPear said...

I don't think Benedict would ever go for the "co-redemptrix" idea, especially given the divisiveness he's already unleashed in the past few years.

The sad thing is that the co-redemptrix crowd isn't looking for "permission" to call her that -- JP2 called her "co-redemptrix" on occasion, after all, and no one is stopping them from believing that about her. No, they want it to be imposed on everyone.

BTW - The British Museum is fantastic, and I visit whenever I'm in London. If you ever go back, make it a priority!

I don't remember seeing any Titians at the Tate. I do remember some at the National Gallery, which is the best London gallery in my opinion.

11:52 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi PrickliestPear,

It must be great to live where there are museums like the British Museum. On my one trip to Europe, I did get to visit the Vatican museums and the Louvre, but here we're really bereft of good museums. The closest is the de Young in SF and that's not great.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home