My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Poem / In My Black Hat

I was looking up Christopher Southgate, who teaches theology at the University of Exeter, because I'd seen mention of his book, The Groaning of Creation: God, Evolution, and the Problem of Evil, and I found that he also does poetry. Here's one of his poems, which was one of the winners of the National Poetry Competition 2008 ......

In My Black Hat

Thora Dardel sees her portrait by Modigliani for the first time in forty-six years.

I am not the woman you see sitting in the corner
at the private view. My name is Dardel.
In nineteen nineteen, in Montparnasse,
I was painted by the dying Modigliani.
He sketched me in a café. He devoured me
with his eyes. He took me
to Rue de la Grande Chaumiére, number eight.

I see you hesitate. Yes, how faded I have become.
You ask whether he was good to be with, this Amedeo?
Ah no. He drank continually, and spat blood,
and still if Jeanne had not been there, and the child,
he would have consumed me. When he was dead
Jeanne walked backwards out of their window.
There was nothing left of her, without him.

I could see her in a small painting behind his head –
a long oval face with almond eyes,
heart-stopping, lovely, cursed eyes
that cursed you as you looked at them.
The flat smelled of coal dust.
As you see I wore my black hat
and kept my hands in my lap.

I have lived in Paris, and Stokholm,
and Montevideo. I have family who love me.
But tonight at last it is clear.
I am not the woman you see sitting in the corner
stiffly, slow-speaking, preferring her own company.
I am that young student, head on one side,
in a black hat, in love with Nils Dardel,
devoured in an instant in a café
by a sad-eyed Italian who died soon after,
and I always shall be.


- a portrait of Thora Dardel by Modigliani


- a portrait of Rolf de Mare by Nils von Dardel


- Jeanne Hébuterne


- Amedeo Clemente Modigliani


5 Comments:

Blogger cowboyangel said...

Enjoyed the poem.

I don't know much about Modigliani and knew nothing about Jeanne Hébuterne. What a sad story.

Liked her paintings they had at Wikipedia.

8:59 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, I didn't know about any of these people until I read the poem and then looked them up, aside from just knowing the name 'Mondigliani'. That must have been an exciting time in Paris back then.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous james johansen said...

hi guys the painting of rolf de mare was done by nils dardel not the other way around....and if you have done past life regression or if you read many lives many masters...nils dardel in this life is a woman named carrie lee and rolf and nils friend jean borlin is now james johansen...all the best,james

11:08 AM  
Anonymous François de Dardel said...

The second picture is not Nils von Dardel by Rolf de Maré, it is Rolf de Maré painted by Nils Dardel in 1916. Painting signed Nils Dardel in the bottom right corner.

8:07 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh yes, you're right! I transposed the artist and subject. Fixing it. Thanks.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home