Thoughts of a Catholic convert

My Photo
Location: United States

Thursday, July 05, 2012

On Ignatian retreats from Boston College

I often wonder what it would be like to make a real Ignatian Spiritual Exercises retreat at a retreat house. The end of my RCIA course included a stay at the monastery in Vina but terminally shy me opted out. Today I came across some videos from Boston College on what such retreats are like (you can find them all here). Here are a couple of the short video clips ....

This one one has James Carr SJ talking about finding God in nature on a retreat ...

Here's one which has Ann Fowler talking about what the daily routine of a retreat is like ....


Anonymous Victor said...

I guess if we look long enough, we can find retreat for whatever ailes U>S (usual sinners). When I heard James Carr SJ talking about finding God in nature on a retreat, my vast imagination started to think that God really might have been Darwin or maybe he simply wanted U>S to remember that we do originally come from Paradise and the animals have been incharge ever since Adam and Eve left.

Then again, when I listened to Ann Fowler talking about what the daily routine of a retreat is like and said in so many words that there are no real agenda during praying but there was a time limit to follow but God will accept just about anything including knitting in prayer. Well at least they're way ahead of salvage

cause he doesn't even believe in GOD (Good Old Dad)

Please forgive me if I sound a little critical cause I don't really mean to be. "IT" might just be because of another nightmare I had last night and if you want to hear about "IT", I would be happy to tell you and your readers about "IT" but you must simply ask first! :)

I hear ya! Let me think about "IT" Victor and by the way sounds like the humidity is still pretty bad around your area. Right sinner vic? :(

How did ya know? :)


6:35 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

I've enjoyed the retreats at Christ the King retreat center. Not particularly Ignatian but were silent and followed a similar facilitation program over the course of a weekend. The silence was good. It's good to be in the company of others but not feel obligated to explain yourself or justify your existence in some way. A great tonic for shyness I think. I'd like to try an 8 day directed retreat someday.

10:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...


I had a nightmare too - someone trying to kill me, as usual. At least I wasn't getting chased by a T Rex this time ;)

9:44 PM  
Blogger crystal said...


I think silence would halp with shyness too - no pressure to be social. That tv series The Big Silence dwelt a lot on silence. Did you see it? It's all on YouTube here ...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Garima said...

Great post!! very informative.
Thank you very much for such a lovely and informative post.
Engineering college in Jaipur

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Victor said...

Richard, thank you for the You Tube clip and if I recall correctly Crystal did introduce me to it when I still had my old blog. Back then, I must have seen a little more but I can't recall that it was a complete happy ending for all five but I'm sure it helped.

Anyway in closing, I hope that your dreams Crystal change to heavenly ones, if that's posible for people like you and me and why can't "IT" be? :)


6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home