My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Mystical experiences on the rise?

Given the recent news about religion in Ireland (The end of Catholic Ireland) I thought this past video interview of Diana Butler Bass on her book, Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of A New Spiritual Awakening, might be interesting.

One thing I was intrigued to hear that ... in the early 1960s, 22% of Americans said that they had had a mystical experience with God, and that that number had gone up to close to 50% by 2009. I imagine St. Ignatius beaming :) Ross Douthat's book, Bad Religion, gets mentioned as one that starts at the same place her's does but which comes to an opposite conclusion. As the interviewer says, she seems to choose hope while Douthat chooses comfort. I like her way better .....




2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

One of the best parts of working with our RCIA team is occasionally hearing about someone's profound encounter with God. Its encouraging and somehow validating, the range of individuals that have these experiences.

7:22 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard,

Thant's interesting - no one in my RCIA group ever mentioned religious experience. It is encouraging to hear of people's experiences. I had what I think was one during the online retreat I participated in. The hard thing is maybe trusting one's experience.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home