My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

Tonight I watched Snow White and the Huntsman ....

a 2012 American fantasy film based on the German fairy tale "Snow White" compiled by the Brothers Grimm. The film is directed by Rupert Sanders and written by Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock, and Hossein Amini, starring Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth, and Sam Claflin.

Roger Ebert liked it, giving it 3.5 stars out of 4 in his review. But most viewers at his site gave it only 2.5 stars and I think that's how I'd rate the movie too. The acting was ok and there were some interesting visual images. Having said that, I think the CGI stuff was not really top notch and the story was a bit confusing (I saw the theatrical version - maybe the longer version makes more sense?).

Overall it struck me as a cross between Ridley Scott's Robin Hood and Ridley Scott's Legend, but sadly it wasn't as good as either. If you feel the deisre to watch something about Snow White and the huntsman, I recommend Once Upon a Time :)

- the huntsman (Hemsworth)

- the evil queen (Theron)

- Snow White (Stewart)

- the prince (Claflin)

The trailer ...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

somewhat off topic, but speaking of Ridley Scott, I found this article on Prometheus insightful, it summaries RS's commentary on the new DVD release: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/10/ridley-scott-explains-prometheus-is-lovably-insane

Also discovered that Tor.com is a pretty good Sci Fi/Fantasy site.

11:07 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the links. I have Prometheus in my netflix pile - maybe I'll like it more on video than I did at the theater.

Tor - oh, neat, a blog too :) The book about Obi-Wan looks like it might be interesting.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Becky said...

I agree with you and a lot of the other reviewers when it comes to this movie. I just watched it earlier today after getting it in the mail with my Blockbuster @Home queue, and although I thought it was an okay movie I think it could have been a lot better. I think for me the reasoning behind that is strictly the acting (Kristen Stewart!), and one of the main reasons why I skipped this film in theaters and decided to wait for the rental instead. I’m right there with you on Once Upon a Time though, and I would recommend that show to any Snow White fan any day over this movie. I should have listened to my coworker at DISH when she said she knew I wouldn’t like this movie as much as she did. :)

7:25 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Becky,

Thanks for the comment.

Sometimes it can be so hard to evaluate a movie by the trailer, or even by who is starring in it. I guess it's inevitable that we'll end up watching some lemons :)

12:16 AM  
Blogger diego78 said...

Oh, Hemsworth looked so good in this movie. I watched it with my husband. Yes, I do like to watch such movies at times. I also accompany my kids while they watch shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix. Even I have favorite characters now from the show.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home