My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Links and a movie review

- A post at dotCommonweal about Syria. One comment to the post ... Most of the good reasons for killing somebody are gone. To aid the rebels? Off the table due to presence of terrorists. Get rid of Assad? Off the table due to the enemy of our enemy also being our enemy. End the fighting? Off the table as too risible to consider. Force someone to the peace table? See above and above.

- Andrew Brown on the AB of C on homophobia ... Justin Welby thinks that it is a huge problem for the church in this country that it is defined by what it's against. "Young people say 'I don't want to hear about a faith that is homophobic'," .... "The church has not been good at dealing with it. We have implicitly and even explicitly supported [homophobia] and that demands repentance."

- The Tablet on a poll held in the German diocese of Würzburg.: emarried divorcees want communion without annulments ... Those who rejected annulments emphasised that their former marriages had been part of their lives and could not be deleted.

- This week's movie rental was Olympus Has Fallen. I got it because I like Scottish actor Gerard Butler (he was Attila!) ....



But sadly I had to give up on the movie about half way through - rated R, it was just too nihilistically violent‎ without any really redeeming virtues. Here's the plot in a nutshell from a review in The Guardian ...

The film is about an attack on the presidential home by a bunch of loathsome North Korean terrorists who circumvent security with worrying ease. But they prove to be vulnerable to counterattack from one guy, just one guy, armed with nothing but guns, guts, patriotism and a pair of cojones the size of Saturn's moons.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Sadly I paid $ to see it when it first came out, a few exciting moments in the beginning but a really goofy plot I thought. The whole thing with the First Lady seemed pretty clumsy. Anyway, have a super Labor Day Crystal!

4:22 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, I had thought it had potential when I saw the trailer - I liked Die Hard. Oblivion and World War Z are the next movies on my list - hope they're good! Have you seen them?

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Funny how Bruce Willis' character makes all that violence seem okay:} I saw Oblivion, not WWZ yet although I want too. Interested in your take on Oblivion.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home