My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 15, 2014

Dualism and The Light Fantastic



The latest book I've read is The Light Fantastic, which follows the Cold Equations trilogy.

In that trilogy, Data (of Star Trek) was brought back to life, and in the book I've just read, he brings his daughter back to life. The title of the book refers to the fact that much of the story has to do with sentient holograms.

The story is really pretty good and brings in many disparate characters .... Data's daughter is kidnapped by the hologram Professor Moriarty of Sherlock Holmes fame, and Data seeks the help of lounge singer hologram Vic Fontaine and original Star Trek character Harry Mudd in getting her back.

An interesting thing about the story is that almost none of the characters are organic human beings but are androids or holograms, yet they have lives, families, hopes and dreams. just as organics do. It would probably make JPII spin in his grave at the idea that it's consciousness that matters, not the body it's occupying (Veritatis Splendor) ... but I think Keith Ward would approve :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Victor said...

I again Crystal... It's been awhile and long story short, there's probably some things that you and i still agree to disagree on but I'm wondering as Catholics if that includes the spiritual reality fact that Mother nature is revealed supremely in Christ through His Father and is implanted in all human soul lives by the Spirit whether MAN agrees with "IT" or not?

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020915.cfm

I hear YA! But Victor, what of those who do not believe that there is a God, what do we do with them now?

I'll wish you a Happy Lent my friend... my wife and i will shortly be going to church and eat a little fat so we can make our selves ready for those forty days in the dessert...lol

OH Yes! I'm sure you know that Ash Wednesday is tomorrow so I'll close by saying: From ashes to ashes, from dust to dust, if the good Lord don't want us, what's the fuss, "I" mean what's the big rush nowadays?...lol

God Bless Peace

12:28 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor. Happy almost Lent :)

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home