My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

A bad day

UPDATE: we aren't doomed after all. It appears that as long as I get all the cats who appear spayed and neutered, it's alright for them to be here. Or at least that's what I was told when I called for more info today. It's not an optimum situation - I never wanted a zillion cats living in my yard - but I don't want to see them euthanized either. I'm just going day by day, trying to do the best I can.

It seems the neighbors have stepped up their complaints to animal control about the cats, saying that they are a "nuisance" and that I am running an "illegal cattery". The man who came was almost scary, wanting to see my ID and grilling me on how many cats were here and how many were spayed/neutered.

All of the cats but four of them have to be taken to the County Animal Shelter, where I suspect most of them will be euthanized. He wanted to start trapping them today but I asked if I could do it myself ... he has given me only one to two weeks to get it done. I don't know how I can catch them all, much less how to decide who has to go (and probably die).

Most of them are really afraid of people and haven't ever been in a confined space. All of them trust me and think I'm their friend.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Dyan said...

I'm so sorry you have to do this just because of the selfish people around you. My heart is breaking for you :(

5:37 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Dyan. I just found out that we've got a reprieve! I called the animal control lady who had come out about 6 months ago to ask her some questions and she said that the guy who came out yesterday was new and that he was wrong about the situation - that as long as I was getting the cats spayed and neutered, they wouldn't be taken away. The lady who has been complaining has been relentless, apparently, and that's why someone was sent out again. So, it seems to be ok as long as I can get the remaining cats spayed and neutered - 2 to go still. What a relief!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Happy to hear about the reprieve!! Here's something else I hope will cheer you up.

a blast from the past

The Sonnet Challenge, the list of winners (yay, Crystal!!), and the entries are all there. Grateful to Maureen for sending this link to me.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

That's great news! Big sigh of relief :)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I'm glad you and the cats got a reprieve, but sorry you have to put up with a neighbor who is so hateful.

4:49 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Susan - hee hee :) I forgot we ever did poems too. I miss the BBS! The challenges were such fun.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home