My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Washington National Cathedral: Matthew Shepard



'Proud And Relieved': Matthew Shepard's Remains To Be Interred At National Cathedral

The remains of Matthew Shepard, whose death became an important symbol in the fight against homophobia — and whose name is on a key U.S. hate-crime law — will be interred at Washington National Cathedral later this month.

[...]

News of Shepard's interment comes 20 years after he was tied up, savagely attacked and left for dead in October 1998. At the time, he was a 21-year-old college student in in Laramie, Wyo. His brutal murder attracted intense media coverage at the time and galvanized support for laws protecting the rights of LGBTQ Americans ...


Glad to read this. The Washington National Cathedral of the Episcopal church is a wonderful place. I've never been there in person but have visited many times via computer. You can watch the Service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance for Matthew at the cathedral's website om Friday, October 26, at 10 am eastern.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Hampton said...

Dear Crystal
Thank you for this. That sad day in October changed my life. Trinity Cathedral (Episcopal, Sacramento) announced plans to celebrate a memorial service for Matthew Shepherd. Hate mongering Rev. Phelps and his Christian monsters planed to protest the event. I thought to myself - Self - you've got to be visibly on the right side of this one. Following my good advice, I attended that Sunday service, and found a spiritual home for the next ten years. I found those folks at Trinity warm, intelligent, and open minded. I'm glad his spirit moves forward.

11:17 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Steve :)

I don't get out much but if I went back to church, I would go to an Episcopal church. I have visited a lot of them online, though, like Grace cathedral in San Francisco. And I often read what's up at the Episcopal Cafe. I hope you and Lynne are doing well.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home