My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Bye America

My last existing tie to Catholicism has been visiting and commenting at America magazine online. My opinions are in the minority there, however, and recently my comments have been deleted by the moderators because they don't represent the majority view. Makes me sad, but I guess I won't visit there anymore. The irony is that my views actually mirror the views of the majority of US Catholics. Most Catholics want women to be allowed to be priests, most Catholics want priests to be able to marry, most Catholics are Democrats, most Catholics support and use contraception, most Catholics support LGBTQ rights, most Catholics think it's ok to get a divorce, etc, etc, etc.

Vatican synod on family highlights discord between church teachings and U.S. Catholics’ views

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I don't understand their comment policy. They should either have them, or don't have them. But if they're going to have them, then lay out the ground rules. Which they haven't. Reasonable rules would be no ad hominems, and no abusive language, and edit for length. But it seems like lately they just arbitrarily moderate.
Their comments did need fixing, because the same people would get on all the time and ride their favorite hobby horses. But now it doesn't make any sense, they might as well not have comments.
I have not been able to comment on there for a long time, because it doesn't recognize my email or password, and won't let me reset them.

2:09 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, and they've just instituted a new comments style and policy which is even more confusing than before. When I comment on posts about spirituality I'm ok, but it's the culture war and political topics that seem to get me in trouble.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home