My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Fixing a hole

A few days ago I had an appointment with the reconstructive surgeon who will fix the hole in my face that the dermatology doc will make in taking away the area of skin cancer. Scary. I can still remember how upset I was when I had to do this before, about 10 years ago. It looked so horrible right after the operation, though now people say they have to look twice to see the scar at all. Still, it takes time for it to look not Frankenstinian and I'm dreading that. I'm lucky, though, because this time my insurance (medicare/medicaid) will actually pay for a plastic surgeon to close it up - last time I didn't even realize that was a possibility.

One disturbing thing was that they sent me to get an EKG first. I haven't had one of those since I was 25, when my mom had a heart attack and my sis and I were asked to get one. The results were sent to me via the online messaging site of the hospital. I'm not sure I understand what it means and no one has talked to me about it, but it seems to say I have PVCs and maybe that I had a previous heart attack (one of the "silent" kind?). I feel ok though and I didn't drop dead mowing the lawn today, so maybe it's not a worry.

Meanwhile, the operations will be at the beginning of March. Gulp :(

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Crystal I'm sorry you have to have surgery! I'll keep you in my prayers. But I'm glad at least you can have it mended with plastic surgery this time. Hopefully it won't hurt too much.

7:32 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Katherine. It wasn't really so painful - just creepy looking because besides the big scar there is distortion from stretching the skin to make up for the part that's gone. My sister had to have a similar operation a couple of years ago, and my mom and grandmother too, so I guess genetic.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home