My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Snowman



One of the things I think of around Easter is a moment from when we lived in Bermuda. When I was a little kid there, I went to a horse show at Easter time, 1959. My mental photo from the past shows beautiful green lawns, lovely flowers, and a wonderful white horse ... Snowman. Whenever I recall that, I can still feel the joy of 7 year old me :)

US “Cinderella Horse” Who Charmed Bermuda

[I]n 1959 Snowman .... visited Bermuda to appear at the Agricultural Exhibition in a demonstration event ....

Snowman once again prevailed, becoming something of a local celebrity during the week he spent on the island.

Bermudian equestrians as well as hundreds of school children stood line at the Botanical Garden to pet and be photographed with the “Cinderella Horse.”

Snowball retired not long after his celebrated Bermuda appearance, dying at the age of 26 in 1974.

Footage of the “Cinderella Horse’s” Bermuda show ring appearance is featured in the 2016 documentary Harry & Snowman
.

And here's a photo of him from The New York Times article, Harry deLeyer, 93, Dies; He Saved a Horse and Made Him a Legend ...

Thank you, Snowman, for such a happy Easter memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home