My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, April 27, 2023

DNA

Perhaps, like me, you have been wondering why DNA evidence is not part of the Trump rape trial. E. Jean Carroll wrote in her book that she still has the dress she was wearing when she was raped, and that the dress had Trump's DNA on it.

Basically the DNA was not a part of the trial because Trump refused to give a sample with which to compare it. Now that the window of opportunity for giving that evidence has passed, Trump says he's willing to do it after all, in return for an appendix to an earlier test on the original DNA. The judge would not accept this gambit by Trump ... he characterized it as a delaying tactic ... and both parties agreed not to mention the DNA in court. This is why, when Trump's lawyer asked Carroll about that dress, the judge dismissed the jury and told Trump's lawyer to watch his step.

Read more about this at The New York Times ... DNA evidence is a no-go zone in the trial

3 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

Thank you for this summary of what's going on in the trial!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I know for something as traumatic as rape victims often don't come forward for years. But I can't help wishing that if Ms. Carroll still had the dress she would have come forward sooner. Maybe it would have been enough to sink Trump before he ran for office. Maybe not,too. Nothing seems to stick to him.
I couldn't get past the paywall for the NYT article but I kind of get the gist anyway.

1:39 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I don't know why I can see NYT articles. It must be really hard to come forward about rape accusations, especially about a rich and famous person. If I understand correctly, they couldn't use the dress because Trump wouldn't cooperate. I think that it's hard to force a person to give a DNA sample - maybe it's like testifying against oneself?

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home