My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, June 30, 2023

Affirmative Action

The Supreme Court Overturns Fifty Years of Precedent on Affirmative Action

So, the conservatives on the court have disregarded 50 years of precedent. Again. I think this is another mistake, among so many they have recently made.

Here in California, we don't have afirmative action at state schools ...

Here's what happened when affirmative action ended at California public colleges

[...] A quarter-century after California banned race-based admissions at public universities, school officials say they haven't been able to meet their diversity and equity goals — despite more than a half billion dollars spent on outreach and alternative admissions standards ...

That ban happened in 1996, long after I was out of college. But I never had to think about affirmative action. Never applied to any swanky colleges either ... too expensive ... just went to state schools.

The one far away place I did apply for graduate school was UCLA, and got accepted. I went down there, where my sister was then living, and checked out the dorms where I would live on campus. But I ended up chickening out and not going.

My then boyfriend, Richard, told my grandmother he was upset that I was going to move to LA, but she said not to worry - I was too homesick to ever move away. She was right. I was only ever able to move away when I got divorced, and that was a move-or-die kind of situation.

Here's me in LA back then ...

And my sister too ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home