My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 04, 2006

Steve Irwin has died

I was just looking at Google news before going to bed and saw a headline that saddened me - ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies.

Although his career has at times been somewhat controversial, I've been a long time fan of Stevee Irwin's. It was his show that gave me an interest in and appreciation of the wildlife of Australia, New Zealand and environs ... sea snakes, wombats, a shy platypus, a Tasmanian devil, komodo dragons. His show introduced me to the Dingo fence, to the International Venom and Toxin Database, the Galápagos Islands.

Here's part of the news story ...

Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the “Crocodile Hunter,” was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, police said. He was 44. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred ...

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry “Crikey!” in his television program “Crocodile Hunter,” which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel ... Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections ... He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.



Steve Irwin, right, and his wife Terri with a giant Galapagos land tortoise at the Australia Zoo.


7 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bogner said...

That is sad. We've watched a lot of his shows, and he's done a lot of good for nature...

5:55 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Crystal,

Really tragic news, and sadly, I was not stunned to hear it. I also commented on this story.

7:18 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Steve and Jeff,

yes, it makes me sad - thanks for the comments.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crystal, I’ve seen a few of his shows and although I really enjoyed them, on many occasions, I saw a lot of excessive physical braveness.

There’s no telling when God’s Children will be called and as you’ve all said in your own words, this world has lost a good and brave man and I’m sure we’ll all miss him in one way or another..

My sympathy goes out to his wife and children and may God Bless His Soul.

5:14 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor - thanks for your comment :-)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Rachi said...

My first thought was for his young family and his poor children. My prayers are with them.
While I expected that the news would hit us hard here in Australia, I was amazed at the amount of world coverage it has received, he truely was an amazing man in his own way.
He has been offered a state funeral, but his Dad was on the news tonight and said that the family were likely to refuse because Steve just thought of himself as an ordinary man.
RIP Steve

4:35 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Rachi.

yes, I just looked at the Google news before coming here and saw the part about the state funeral. He was able to share his wonder of the natural world with so many people, in such an enthusiastic way, that he will really be missed.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home