My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

And did those feet in ancient time

Below is Emerson, Lake & Palmer singing Jerusalem, an adaptation of Hubert Parry's hymn based on William Blake's poem And did those feet in ancient time. According to Wikipedia, their song was not released in the UK due to objections from the BBC. In contrast, below the ELP video is another version of the hymn from the movie Chariots of Fire, sung by St Philips Boys choir. I like both versions :) Lyrics are under the videos.



St Philips Boys choir - Jerusalem


And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the Holy Lamb of God
on England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!

I will not cease from mental fight;
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.


2 Comments:

Blogger cowboyangel said...

Couldn't get the ELP to work, but I listened to the choral version, which I remember.

Beautiful tune.

8:55 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi William,

Does the ELP one just not show up in your browser? It still seems to be there and be working for me.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home