My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, October 01, 2011

God lives at the church



I'm still watching Frasier from the library. In tonight's episode, The Ring Cycle, Daphne and Niles run off to Reno to be married, but when they realize their family will be disappointed to have missed their wedding, they decide to marry again in a civil ceremony at the courthouse. But Daphne's mother, Gertrude, is upset because they aren't having a church wedding ....

Niles: We're having a civil ceremony.

Gertrude: Without a minister? ... I will not bear witness to a God-less union ...

Martin: Gertrude, I favor a church wedding too but this is their day, not ours. Maybe we should just let them decide how it's going to be.

Gertrude: If people got to decide things for themselves, no one would go to church ...

Frasier: Mrs. Moon, you have my personal guarantee that this will not be a God-less union, for if you truly believe in the omniscience and omnipresence of the Lord, then surely we're always in his presence.

Gertrude: No, he lives at the church.

:)




3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

LOL I don't remember that episode; I may have missed it. Not for long, though--I have many seasons of Frasier on DVD, just waiting to be watched. I love that show! In fact, the disk in my DVD player right now is Disk 4 from Season 2. The series never fails to make me laugh.

8:38 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I love it too. I've got season 10 from the library now, but my favorite is the one (season 7?) where Niles fianlly tells Daphne he loves her - so romantic! Eddie is my favorite character :)

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Peter said...

Gertrude's comment says a LOT about how superstition/religion (what's the difference?) is a sort of 'reflex action' for a lot of people...part of their culture. Ask a lot of people why they believe all this deity stuff despite it being outrageously unlikely and lacking a shred of evidence...and you discover for most people it's utterly habitualised. (of course, most have just internalised it from their parents as children...which is why 99.9% of christians are the children of christians; likewise buddhists, moslems etc.)
At least converts, deluded or not, can claim they've thought about it!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home